5 incredible facts about flaxseed oil
There’s a reason humans have cultivated the multi-use grain, flaxseed and flaxseed oil, since 5000Bc. Not only are flaxseeds a key resource in the production of various goods but they’re incredibly beneficial to your health when consumed.
The garment industry utilises flaxseed fibres to make linen goods, the paper industry for the use of banknotes and tea bags and the art industry, uses flax oil in paints and varnishes. However, at Ultra Lite our key focus is flaxseeds use as food. Flax seeds produce a plant-based oil known as flaxseed oil, which has fantastic health and weight loss benefits.
5 Facts about flaxseed
- Flaxseed are a rich source of Omega 3’s: Omega-3s are ‘essential’ fatty acids that should be included in your diet. As our body is not able to produce them itself, we need to include them through diet or supplements. There are numerous ways to include omega 3’s in your diet. Sources that include omega 3’s are seafood and fish, certain meats and nuts and seeds. However, flaxseed oil, is by far, is the richest known source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Flaxseed consumption aids in weight loss – A recent study found flaxseed oil added to a weight loss diet helped participants lose weight.
- Flaxseeds are the richest source of Lignan’s: Lignans are potent antioxidants found in the seed coat of flaxseed. Flaxseeds are the richest source of lignan precursors. Once in the body, lingens mimic essential genes oestrogen, anti-estrogenic and other anti-cancer properties.
- Flaxseed consumption is linked to prevention of various diseases – In recent years new research has linked the use of flaxseed oil to aid or support multiple health diseases such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, Atherosclerosis and more. A-Linoleic Acid (ALA) is the highest unsaturated fatty acid found in flaxseed and has been shown to exert anti-inflammatory activities through its conversion to Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). According to a study conducted by INSERT LINK The ALA content has been found to reduce tumour growth, inflammation and more (Truan, Chen, & Thompson, 2010).
- It’s vegetarian and vegan-friendly – Flaxseed oil is plant-based. So if you eat vegan or vegetarian, it’s a great way to get your omega’s 3 without consuming animal products.
Where can you find flaxseed oil?
We recommend an organic brand of the product. Due to its exceptionally high-grade quality, we sell Melrose Flax Oil at Ultra Lite. However, you can also find various brands in your local supermarket or health food store
How should you consume flaxseed oil?
You can use it as a dressing for your salad, consume it on its own, or you can mix it into smoothies or other beverages. As a key ingredient in our Ultra Lite program, we have incorporated it into numerous delicious recipes too.
For more information on how Flaxseed is used in the Ultra Lite program contact an Ultra Lite Practitioner today.